Saturday, October 5, 2019

What I wore Thursday

I made this top about 3 weeks ago, and the skirt last Wednesday.  Ordinarily, I wouldn't dream of wearing a top with little spots on it (to me, it looks almost like the starry sky out in Wyoming at a new moon) with a patterned skirt.  But the colors were so close to the same that it all just worked out.

I used a pattern I've had at least a decade for both of these.  The Simplicity  S4368 was an entire wardrobe pattern, with the top, skirt, pants and a jacket, and created by Threads magazine (judging by the envelope, anyway).  I've never made a non-stretch, pullover top before, and so was nervous about this one, however, the rayon performed very nicely, and looks good.  There are little pintucks at the neckline to give it a little shape.  It can be worn tucked in, as Hepsibah is modeling, or loose.  My preference, if worn loose, would be to add a belt over the top, so I retain some waistline definition.


  The skirt is a twill with a slight stretch and plenty of body.  The skirt fits closely to the hip and then flares out a fair amount, and I love this profile.  I've also gotten the invisible zipper insertion down pretty well, and I love how the tab hides with this fabric!  I've made a couple of skirts with this pattern since rediscovering it about 6 weeks ago, and 3 versions of the top.  This outfit felt good to wear, despite the fact that it turned cold Thursday, but this top is done for the season, as are its twins; even with the heat running, I feel the chill.

I'm going to try to post a little more here, but time passes by.  I'm currently working on a few pieces to take on vacation with Shannon's family in a few weeks.  You know the boys are going to be despondent without their personal chef around!

Happy Saturday, everyone!

1 comment: