Saturday, October 19, 2019

A Bigger Narwhal Jacket!

Nora outgrew her narwhal jacket which I made her last year.  Why is that not surprising?

To recap, I got upset last year when, on Black Friday, it was 14 degrees and my daughter was putting her daughter in the car without a coat, because "they can't wear coats in the car!"  My dear friend GMarie later clarified for me that it's because jackets are too puffy and the kid could fly out of the car seat.  Whatever. This kid has a winter-long runny nose and cough, and I don't think it's right that she should be going out without a coat.  So, Ryan found me this cozy and pretty fleece, and demanded that I make something awesome out of it; a toddler's jacket it became!

I used the same pattern, S8759 from Simplicity.  Sadly, the pattern stops at 24 pounds.  So I added a little in girth, about 4" in length, and made a new one for this year.  Here you have Tigger modeling it for you. 

I did a great job of matching the narwhal pattern for the pockets; I have to thank GMarie for inspiring me to try.  Seriously, have you seen her mad pattern matching skills?  The lady is awesome.

 Excuse Tigger's tail blocking your view of the back; I hung it off Hepsibah to show it to you a little better.

I used plastic snaps to close it.  I did put some ribbon on the inside of the closure (which isn't really a placket, but I have no other word for it) for reinforcement, because I'm always afraid those snaps will pull right through the fabric.


And look at my nifty new labels for the children's clothes!  As long as I'm making them, I might as well flaunt it a little bit, right?

I'm going away with Shannon's family for a few days at the beginning of next month, so I'm going to bring this jacket along and give it to my girl then.  She will b very happy, I"m sure.  She seems to just love everything I make her.

Happy Weekending, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. So cute! Of course she loves everything you make her!!! She's a lucky little lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! Time now to drag out the winter fabrics and make up warm clothes. I love the corduroys and flannels. They're warm pretty and easy to care for.

    ReplyDelete