Wednesday, October 9, 2019

4 Yards of Green Linen....

....yields so many things!

At the June Sew Camp, I got 4 yards of this green linen border print.  It's a really nice fabric, with plenty of body and drape all at the same time.  The first thing I did was make a Simplicity dress (which I've made 3 other times, as well).  I had some brown gauze on my shelf, so was able to use that for the waist ties (which are 4' long sashes sewn into the side seams, and wrapped around back before being tied in the front).  The picture in the mirror is me wearing it on the way out the door to fly to Kellie's house for a long weekend; the picture hanging gives you a better idea of how the pattern changes from the top to the bottom of the fabric.


I've been working on a maxi skirt pattern for a couple of months; I've made 2 previous ones, trying to get the waist and length correct.  Who knew that it would be this hard?  Finally, the weekend before last, I felt that I had it figured out enough to cut into the green linen.

I'm really delighted with how the border flows around the hem of the dress, while it isn't obvious that it doesn't exactly follow the curvature of the hem.  The pattern gradation from hem up is more evident in this skirt; I really like the change in the flowers over the distance from waist to hem.  I'm a little less delighted that Hepsibah is evidently shorter from waist to floor than I am;  I might have to make her taller.  This pattern is really easy; it only takes a couple of hours to assemble.  (I've also made several above knee length versions from this pattern, so you know I like it).

Finally, I fussy cut an 8 gore skirt from the remnants at the opposite end of the fabric, because I couldn't see throwing out so much fabric.  I like it.

There wasn't a long enough piece to make a waistband, so I put in a facing.  And the flowers are upside down, but that's OK.  It makes them look a little like modern art.

I figured out earlier this summer that facings would stay in place if I "stitch in the ditch" along the seam lines to hold the facing in place, and said stitching won't show.  Well, except from 4" away, where no one should be anyway unless they want me to clobber them. ;-)

So, green linen border print!  I'm so pleased with these garments!

Happy (late) Wednesday, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. I guess I'm going to have to find a border print. I really want a skirt with a border. That looks like a nice skirt pattern. I want one without too much bulk in the hip area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a good pattern; not too complex, classic design, and not too much bulk in the hip, as you said. I'm wearing one in red today.

      Delete
  2. LOVE! The first dress and sash looks so great on you! The other two skirts are great too. I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete