Thursday, October 10, 2019

Pink Boucle Skirts

In one of the bundles I bought during the September Sew Camp, there were 6 pieces of skirt fabric.  Six!  That's a lot of skirts, leaving me drooling at the prospects.

One of the pieces was a lovely pink boucle.  I decided it would make a great A-line skirt, but when I cut it, I discovered that there was enough left over for a pencil skirt as well!  The down side of boucle is that it needs to be lined, at least in my opinion, in order to hang correctly and not stretch out with wearing.

So I started with the A-line skirt, using Simplicity pattern #S8885 (which I've made several times since I bought it this summer).  I lined it with a charcoal gray, diamond patterned lining fabric that I had around here.  An invisible zipper, and Boom! Done!  Since this skirt was lined, I didn't bother with either a waistband or facings, which makes it a little easier to finish.  I added a piece of black and white trim around the hem, but I'm not honestly certain if I love that detail.  It might just come off at some point.  (This picture was taken before I attached the trim, thus the part still hanging on the floor.)

The second skirt was McCalls #M3830.  Very simple, 2 piece skirt with darts front and back.  Nothing fancy, nothing special, just very classic.  I used the same lining for this skirt, and an invisible zipper.  In both skirts, I anchored the lining to the skirts by stitching in the seam line for the first 3" down from the top.  That prevents it fron deciding to turn itself inside out or otherwise get twisted in the wash.


Speaking of wash, I cut 4 identical pieces of the boucle, and finished all 4 edges of each 5" square.  I left one on the laundry room window sill, washed one by hand and laid it flat to dry, washed 2 in the machine and put one through the dryer while the other was also laid flat to dry.  I was delighted to see that all 4 were still identical after washing, which means that I don't have to take these skirts to the dry cleaner (which would probably be the kiss of death for them in my house).

And, I bought myself some garment labels; sometimes I even remember to use them! (And isn't that lining pretty?)

Happy Thursday, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, dry cleaning doesn't cut it here either. I'm enjoying your new skirts and may actually get off my rump and make one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both skirts are adorable and will look great on you! Love the labels--so cute!

    ReplyDelete