Friday, August 23, 2019

Sunburst Dresses!

At the last Sew Camp, I bought 2 panels of this fabric.  At alternating times, it has looked to me like either a sunburst or a flower, maybe a dandelion about to explode or some kinds of mums.  In any event, while working with it, in my head, it became a sunburst, so I'm going with Sunburst Dresses.

Figuring out the layout so I could maximize the impact of the pattern was a little tricky.  For the first one, which was a raglan sleeved pattern, I used long sleeves, laid out the front centered upon the panel, and the back so the ends of the sunburst almost meet in the back.  In that way, I figured that I'd look like the sunburst was wrapping around.  I then laid the sleeves at 90 degrees to the grain of the fabric, since it had 4 way stretch, and again, made the pattern look like it was wrapping from front to back.

 Not bad, I thought.  I like the pattern's effect.


Of course, I haven't worn it, since it's been hot here and this thing has 3/4 sleeves.  Maybe in September.

Since that only took one panel, I decided to use the second panel a little differently.  I have a pattern that I love, given to me by a friend several years ago, and it occurred to me that it could be very interesting with this fabric.  I laid it out so that the front and back had the top of the sunburst, and the bottom was pointed toward the hem on both sides.  I put the (short) sleeves on the solid white part, so the design wouldn't spill onto them.


This dress came out a touch too big, but wearing it with a belt helps.  And since I wear every other version of this dress which I've made with a belt, that's what I've come to expect to do in any event.

So, this Sew Camp fabric was a great find, and these dresses are pretty interesting!

Happy Friday, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. That's a very interesting print. I see why you were attracted. I applaud both your choices of using it. I would love to find a nice border print for a new outfit. I haven't had one in ages and it's becoming an obsession. Unfortunately my closest fabric store recently closed and I like the buy fabric in person so I can touch it.

    ReplyDelete