Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Bundle Sewing

When I go to Sew Camp, we always make a trip to Fabric Mart.  They are a small, unobtrusive storefront in a small city, with a surprising collection of fabrics for sale.  Much of it is designer fabric, so everyone who attends camp really looks forward to the trip (one lady even calls it "Disney World for Sewists!").

One of the things you can find at Fabric Mart is bundles.  Some of them are bundles of smaller pieces, generally under 1.5 yards, and some are bundles containing a smaller number of 2 to 3 yard cuts.  So, one day in July, I woke up feeling enthusiastic about a bundle of smaller cuts:

I had some ideas about what I should make from them.  This pattern is a new favorite, and I"m looking forward to wearing the top.
 I've never actually made anything from this pattern, although I've had it for several years.  I was a little iffy about this fabric, but the relative in Denver likes bright colors - and looks great in them - so if I don't like it, I'll send it to her!
 This fabric is actually why I selected this bundle.
 This was one of 2 test skirts before I make a couple of maxi skirts to take on vacation in November.

I haven't worn everything I made yet - after all, long sleeves do not play well with 90 degree days (even though we rarely get to 90 here).  So, here they are, laid flat.

Except for this dress, which I love.  I started out intending to make a regular raglan sleeved tee shirt dress, then saw a dress with off-the-shoulder sleeves, and decided that I could do that, with the addition of shoulder straps to hide foundation garments (which are an absolute must for a grandma).

Oh, I'd love to claim that I'm all kinds of clever and drew this up myself, but, really, I used McCall's pattern M7122 with a few alterations.  But the weather is changing - we haven't even reached 70 since last Thursday - and next week, I'll be forced to concede that summer is indeed in my rearview mirror, and start thinking about sleeves.

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Adorable! It looks very flattering on your figure. Great job Marjie!

    ReplyDelete