Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Princess Seamed Dress

Readers of my primary blog may remember that I have a subscription box from The Sewciety, which sends me a pattern, an appropriate cut of fabric, a smaller cut of fabric for a "petite project," and all necessary notions, right down to the thread.  It's a nice box.  I loved the fabric in my February box, however, I hated the pattern.  I made it up out of a fabric to which I was wildly indifferent; it was a dolman sleeved dress, and even after I took about 1/3 of the intended fabric out of the sleeves and armpits, it still looked absolutely dreadful.  Hence, I was delighted that I had saved my fabric!

I knew when I saw this fabric that it wanted to be a princess seamed dress.  My favorite pattern for that style is Vogue 9376, which I must have purchased in 1995 when the House of Fabrics here was going out of business and holding a deeply discounted sale. 


I've made this one up any number of times, and did it again for this fabric.  The exception is that I eliminated the sweetheart neckline, and instead made it a rounded neckline.  A simple alteration, to be sure, but one I felt necessary given the pattern on the fabric.

There's nothing extraordinary about the construction of this dress, but the skirt has a nice amount of flare and twirl, while being nicely fitted through the body to the hip.  Hence, it has survived nearly 25 years as one of my favorite patterns.  And, let's be honest, it's a classic line, so not likely to go out of style.

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I have a couple of ancient patterns that I love and go back to when I need something comfy and familiar.

    ReplyDelete